Re: extern inline and ?stat64 fun in glibc

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 11:21:46PM +0000, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> Hi!
>
> As many people know, som header change in libc6-dev made libqt3-mt (and maybe
> other packages) drop some symbols on one or more archs.
>
> For full details, see the thread starting here:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2008/02/msg00439.html, especially the
> post by Pierre here:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2008/02/msg00580.html
>
> For the result of this change, see the RC buglist against libqt3-mt
>
> The question is now - what to do?
>
> 1) Roll back the changes to libc6-dev and rebuild qt3
> 2) patch in those symbols in qt3
> 3) rename libqt3-mt and rebuild all 500 rdeps, including all of kde3.
> 4) something else ?
>
> I am currently most in favour of 1. And very much against 2. But hoping for 4.

  Well, I'd like to avoid (1) if possible.

> But please discuss and comment - and please keep me cc'ed. I am not subscribed
> to glibc list.

  Well, there is a possibility, the affected packages are ones that have
undefined symbols on stat64 and that used to get their crack from
another library (libqt3 here). We have to scan the whole archive for
undefined symbols on stat64 and other alike symbols (we can probably
find an exhaustive enough list, grep for __extern_inline in the
libc6-dev basically).

  If that amount of packages is small, then the libraries that used to
provide the symbols for them should have versionned conflicts, bump
their shlibs, and then those packages should be binNMUed.

  Though this approach only works if there is (and I believe it's the
case) few packages matching.

  What do you think ?

[ basically for qt3 it seems it would be only 3 conflicts, we can live
  with that ]

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit