How to build glibc from debian/rules without clean?

Hi,

I'm attempting to debug the getaddrinfo() problem on my system.

I've added some debug statements to:
build-tree/glibc-2.3.6/sysdeps/posix/getaddrinfo.c

And I've typed `make` in the build-tree/amd64-i386 and
build-tree/amd64-libc directories.

Now I'm trying to coax debian/rules into rebuilding the
.deb's without cleaning first.

Any tips on how to accomplish this?  (Or a different approach?)

I've tried debian/rules with various targets, but so far I'm
only getting "no work to do" responses.

Also, after having removed the .debs from a previous build,
I tried: $ fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage -nc

But got:

dpkg-buildpackage: source package is glibc
dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 2.3.6.ds1-13etch2
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Pierre Habouzit <madc....@debian.org>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture amd64
dpkg-buildpackage: source version without epoch 2.3.6.ds1-13etch2
debian/rules build
No patches to apply
debian/rules binary
No patches to apply
dh_testroot
dpkg-genchanges -b
dpkg-genchanges: binary-only upload - not including any source code
dpkg-genchanges: failure: cannot open upload file ../glibc-doc_2.3.6.ds1-13etch2_all.deb for reading: No such file or directory

I apologize for my newbieness.  Maybe a better question would be,
where can I RTFM about the process of building a modified glibc?

Thanks!

Bill