getaddrinfo broken on amd64 etch system

Greetings,

This is my first post here, so I hope I'm following the protocols
correctly.

I've done a netinstall of etch 4.0r1 with amd64 architecture on
both a vmware system, and a real AMD Opteron system. (glibc version 2.3.6.ds1-13etch2)

On both systems, getaddrinfo() seems to fail to do a reverse lookup
from an IP address to the canonical hostname.  (The `host` program,
from the command line, works fine.)

I'm posting here because I'm at a loss as to how to debug the problem further, and hoped someone might have suggestions, and/or
be able to confirm the problem.

I've posted a small sample program that reproduces the problem,
and posted an strace of the program on the broken etch system,
and also an strace on a working sarge system:

http://cila-search.net/~billk/debug/getaddrinfo/

Have I posted to the correct mailing list? I didn't want to file a bug without confirming I haven't made a stupid configuration
error or something.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Bill