glibc-prof

  I discussed about this with Aurélien quickly on IRC today, but that's
an issue that I've been thinking about for some time. We currently build
a flavor of the libc with profiling support. With tools like oprofile
and the libc6-dbg package, the need for is is definitely smaller than
before. gprof is less accurate for timings, but more accurate to count
real number of times a function was called. Though I believe that people
wanting to do that usually care aboute _their_ code, and not really
aboute the libc itself.

  My point is that libc6-prof isn't terribly useful nowadays, and that
it's probably accountable for 25 to 33% of the libc build time (not the
test-suite though), which is probably a nice time save to make.

  I'd like to know what you people think, and I'll probably pop that
question on -devel@ if enough of us believe this package indeed has
leass meaning and could go away.

Cheers,
--