how does debian reduce glibc size for the install floppies

Hi,

I'm trying to shrink glibc (2.5.1) in order to be able to build a rescue boot
floppy on a LFS (Linux From Scratch) system.  From all my google searches
I've come up with a very vague idea of how debian does it.  You build some
pic library archive, then remove unnecessary stuff from it and link to it.

I would very much appreciate any help with these:

1) how do you build glibc-pic
2) how do you reduce it
3) how do you link to it (It's some kind of a static library?)

Since I'm not on Debian, I'd be grateful if you describe the process in non
apt-get fashion :-)

Thanks,
IvanK.