Buggy version of libc6-i686 is still in Stable

Dear GNU Libc Maintainers,

I was very surprised, that the libc6-i686 in etch (stable) [i686 optimized] - 2.3.6.ds1-13etch2stable still comes a bug, which has been fixed in April 2007 (http://lists.debian.org/debian-glibc/2007/04/msg00395.html).

It is pretty critical bug (#419036: Kernel panic - attempted to kill init!), for which I could not find another workaround either than rebooting from recovery CDROM, re-naming /lib/tls and uninstalling libc6-i686 with loosing all locales.

Could we do anything about this because it is not good that installing a single package is breaking the whole Linux installation?

I could raise a new bug request if you like, but it is, seems, not a good idea as it is reported as fixed.

---

Sincerely Yours,
Pavel V. Epifanov.

E-mail: pavel7@hotmail.com