Re: glibc's getaddrinfo() sort order

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 11:18:00AM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> COMMON BEHAVIOUR ON TODAY'S INTERNET IS THAT IMPLEMENTED BY
> GETHOSTBYNAME.

Common behavior for gethostbyname() on today's Internet is that
implemented commonly in gethostbyname() .

> How many times do I have to explain this ?  getaddrinfo is the
> REPLACEMENT FOR GETHOSTBYNAME.  It is not an interface which
> applications choose because they want different address sorting
> behaviour.  It is the interface applications MUST USE TO SUPPORT IPV6.

I don't think that this is true.  getipnodebyname() is an interface
applications can use and is much more conducive to drop-in replacement
given its interface.  I am not recommending use of this function, but
your leap of logic is strange.

> Changing applications to use getaddrinfo instead of gethostbyname is
> done BECAUSE THOSE APPLICATIONS ARE BEING UPDATED TO SUPPORT IPV6.

I think it's done because it's a better, more standardized interface.

> Updating an application to support IPv6 should not change the way it
> treats DNS RRsets containing multiple IPv4 addresses.  Obviously.

Anything assuming what you assume about DNS resolution is going to break
in the future eventually.