Replace /etc/ld.so.conf by /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf files?

Hi,

since glibc 2.3.4, ldconfig understands include directives in
/etc/ld.so.conf.  I had a  look at Fedora glibc.src.rpm, and
it seems that they indeed put a single line
  include /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
into their /etc/ld.so.conf, so that packages can ship their
own conffile if needed (and the .conf suffix ensures that ldconfig
ignores files generated by dpkg when handling conffiles).

IMO we should do the same, but how do we handle this transition?
We must be sure that /etc/ld.so.conf is updated before any package
which runs ldconfig and ships an /etc/ld.so.conf.d/foo.conf file.
A simple solution is to add this line in libc6.postinst for etch
and modify other packages only after etch is released.
Or is there a safe way to allow these changes in etch and make
sure that /etc/ld.so.conf is updated first?

Denis