Re: glibc_2.3.6-6_i386.changes REJECTED

Le Lun 10 Avril 2006 19:41, Aurelien Jarno a écrit :
> Anthony Towns a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is a reject of the new -bin packages (both of them).
> >
> > The issues with the -bin package are that it may cause upgrade
> > problems, both in that upgrading from existing libc's may result in
> > a broken system between the new libc6 being unpacked and the new
> > libc-bin being installed (ldconfig not being available), and that
> > when you have a new glibc from upstream, you may have problems with
> > the new ldconfig (etc) requiring symbols from the new glibc, and
> > ensuring they're installed correctly.

I hardly see how that's possible, given that ldconfig is a static
binary. and given the fact that libc6 Depends upon libc-bin, the later
will be unpacked, and the new ldconfig will overwrite the older one,
and *just work*.

The only current problem is that libc-bin depends upon libc6, which is
fixeable (making it Essential, or using apropriate dh_slibdeps exclude,
to avoid that dependency). With that, libc-bin is assured to be
unpacked first, and a valid ldconfig will always exist on the sytem.
libc-bin beeing configured or not.

but that's fixeable.

libc-bin can even be a Pre-Depends of libc6 if needed, but I honnestly
don't think it's needed in its current shape.

I think aurelien already answered pretty good to the other remarks.

just my 2¢
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit