Re: Multiarch support (was Moving 32-bit libraries to (/usr)/lib32 on amd64)

(restricting the CC list to real lists)

Quoting Steve Langasek (vorlon@debian.org):
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 07:45:16AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
>
> > > After a discussion on IRC, it seems there is no consensus about how
> > > multiarch should be done. Therefore I stop working on that (patches are
> > > still welcome for glibc).
>
> > Is this really the best thing to do?
>
> > Even though there is no consensus (I overread the thread and anyway
> > most parts of it fly in the stratosphere from my point of view), I'm
> > not sure that abandoning the work is really the answer in this
> > situation.
>
> I didn't interpret this as "abandoning" the work.  I think this is the right
> point to stop at on glibc right now -- we really need to have support for
> multiarch in dpkg an apt before usefully proceeding further.

OK, sorry for the confusion but I really didn't want to see Aurélien
just stop this work which I'm pretty sure he's doing well.

For dpkg, I think I've seen some discussion but Guillem Jover and/or
Frank Lichtenheld have probably a better picture. Anyway, the dpkg
development model is now pretty much opened so anyone with
ideas/skills/patches can probably come up and discuss in debian-dpkg...

For apt, ahem.....Michael is pretty much alone doing visible
development work. Some help here would probably be welcomed....at
least from my very far point of view. Please show up on the devel list
(deity@l.d.o)