[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Bug#376272: marked as done (libc6: //translit fails with cyrillic and others)



Your message dated Sat, 1 Jul 2006 19:15:37 +0200
with message-id <20060701171537.GA8392@linuxfr.org>
and subject line Bug#376272: libc6: //translit fails with cyrillic and others
has caused the attached Bug report to be marked as done.

This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
Bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.

(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what I am
talking about this indicates a serious mail system misconfiguration
somewhere.  Please contact me immediately.)

Debian bug tracking system administrator
(administrator, Debian Bugs database)

--- Begin Message ---
Package: libc6
Version: 2.3.6-15
Severity: normal

Hello,

the //translit function seems to be partially broken in the
current glibc. I remember it having worked fine some months ago.
Demo (with UTF-8 input):

echo Тест | LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 iconv -f UTF-8 -t ascii//translit
????
(should be Test)
echo Füße | LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 iconv -f UTF-8 -t ascii//translit
Fuesse
(ok, correct)
echo Füße | LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8 iconv -f UTF-8 -t ascii//translit
F?sse
(Why not the same? Unicode is unicode is unicode... or does iconv try to
do some stupid cheating nowadays and assumes that Russian people are not
aware of the ä->ae transliteration?)

Whatever the reason behind this changed behaviour is, it is not natural,
not userfriendly and therefore not correct.

Eduard.




-- System Information:
Debian Release: testing/unstable
  APT prefers unstable
  APT policy: (500, 'unstable'), (1, 'experimental')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)
Shell:  /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash
Kernel: Linux 2.6.17-mm1
Locale: LANG=de_DE.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=de_DE.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)

Versions of packages libc6 depends on:
ii  tzdata                        2006g-2    Time Zone and Daylight Saving Time

libc6 recommends no packages.

-- no debconf information


--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 03:51:21PM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> Package: libc6
> Version: 2.3.6-15
> Severity: normal
> 
> Hello,
> 
> the //translit function seems to be partially broken in the
> current glibc. I remember it having worked fine some months ago.
> Demo (with UTF-8 input):
> 
> echo Тест | LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 iconv -f UTF-8 -t ascii//translit
> ????
> (should be Test)
> echo Füße | LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 iconv -f UTF-8 -t ascii//translit
> Fuesse
> (ok, correct)
> echo Füße | LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8 iconv -f UTF-8 -t ascii//translit
> F?sse
> (Why not the same? Unicode is unicode is unicode... or does iconv try to
> do some stupid cheating nowadays and assumes that Russian people are not
> aware of the ä->ae transliteration?)
> 
> Whatever the reason behind this changed behaviour is, it is not natural,
> not userfriendly and therefore not correct.

No, transliteration is language-dependent, so closing this bug.
For instance in French,
  echo Füße | LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 iconv -f UTF-8 -t ascii//translit
  Fusse
and this is the expected result.
The ü -> ue transliteration is defined in /usr/share/i18n/locales/de_DE.

Denis

--- End Message ---

Reply to: