glibc udebs built with -Os

Hi all,

After a discussion with Joey Hess and later with Frans Pop at Debconf 6, we have decided that it could be a good idea to have a udeb glibc built with -Os.

I have made a few tests, mainly on i386 and amd64, and also on all architectures but m68k. All tests were ok. The tests include comparing the test logs with the normal version, running small tests programs with threads, and for all architectures but s390, ia64 and alpha (I don't own those machines) a boot with this glibc. This made me very enthusiastic.

This has been implemented partially in glibc 2.3.6-10 and more fully in glibc 2.3.6-11.

However we start facing some problems. We have build failures on s390 and ia64 that were not present on the test builds. That let me think building the glibc with -Os is maybe not really stable. What it is sure, is that it is not supported upstream. On hppa, it is only possible to build the udeb with -Os with gcc-4.1. Also on i386 we've reached the biggest size possible for a build log (75MB).

That's why I am now thinking of removing that from the current glibc and postpone that for later (probably etch+1), but I'd like to know what other people think, also people from d-i to know if the gain in space is really important for etch.

Bye,
Aurelien