Re: glibc_2.3.6-6_i386.changes REJECTED

Le Mar 11 Avril 2006 11:05, Goswin von Brederlow a écrit :
> Pierre Habouzit <pierre.habouzit@m4x.org> writes:

> > I hardly see how that's possible, given that ldconfig is a static
> > binary. and given the fact that libc6 Depends upon libc-bin, the
> > later will be unpacked, and the new ldconfig will overwrite the
> > older one, and *just work*.
> >
> > The only current problem is that libc-bin depends upon libc6, which
> > is fixeable (making it Essential, or using apropriate dh_slibdeps
> > exclude, to avoid that dependency). With that, libc-bin is assured
> > to be unpacked first, and a valid ldconfig will always exist on the
> > sytem. libc-bin beeing configured or not.
>
> Why should it matter in what oder libc6 and libc-bin are unpackagd?
> All cases should work fine:
>
> [...]
>
> I'm assuming libc6 depends on libc-bin and libc-bin depends on libc6
> here. The former is needed to always pull in libc-bin on upgrades and
> the later is needed to ensure the minimum version requirements as
> sepcified in libc6.shlibs. We don't want a new libc-bin with a too
> old libc6.

riiiiight, but that makes a nasty circular dependency I thought we
should avoid at any rate ? Shouldn't libc-bin rather conflicts with bad
version of the libc ?

> Also consider what would happen if ldconfig does go missing. Wouldn't
> that just mean the new libc6 isn't in ld.so.cache and ld.so will
> search the library pathmanualy and still find it?

libc6 preinst calls /usr/bin/ldd to know which ld_so is used on the
system. that means that libc-bin has to be extracted *before* libc6 is.
Though, that part seems to be quite brittle, and I assume we could use
another tool than

else, you are right, the only thing we have to be sure, is that *a*
libc-bin is extracted before libc6 postinst runs, and that should
always be OK, since libc6 depends upon libc-bin.
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit