Re: [RFC] Moving localedef/locale-gen into a seperate package

Le dimanche 09 avril 2006 à 00:53 +0200, Denis Barbier a écrit :

> To summarize, I suggest to
>  * Move data files into a new locales-data package
>  * Move locale-gen and localedef into the locales package
>  * Keep debconf stuff into locales
>  * Let locales Depends: locales-data and Provides: working-locales
>  * Move locales from Arch: all to Arch: any
>  * Create a locales-all package, which Provides: working-locales
> Comments?
> I would like to make these changes in 2.3.6-6 to go through NEW queue
> only once.

What we did for Ubuntu was split locales into a separate package (source
package: langpack-locales) and have it depend on belocs-locales-bin.
That -bin package *already* exists, and is already being kept up to
date, so there's not alot of point in having a new bin package.  We then
dropped the locale-gen and localedef binaries from libc6.

It means that we don't do any locales patching in glibc at all, and only
have to maintain the locales package differently than we do now.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey

Although when you're in the situation that RMS is telling you that
you're being too ideological about freedom, maybe, just maybe, it's
true.
- Matthew Wilcox