Re: timezone data packaged separately and in volatile?

2006/2/7, Anand Kumria <wildfire@progsoc.uts.edu.au>:
> > It's not us, but the stable maintainer, that you'd have to talk to;
> > he has traditionally not been interested in these sorts of updates to
> > stable as far as I know.
>
> Well, perhaps a first start is creating the package for stable-updates;
> would it be easier for you if I created a diff or would you rather do it
> yourself?

The requirements for getting into a stable release update are not
black magic, they're quite well known:

http://people.debian.org/~joey/3.1r1/

It's quite clear it's not a security bug. Whether it leads to critical
data loss or an overly unusable system is debatable. It's just that
the clock will be off by an hour for a few weeks. Hardly the end of
the world, people run with the clocks on their machines off by months
and it doesn't seem to break anything critical.

ISTM the d-volatile is the right place for this. However, in the mean
time I think someone should send a message to debian-announce that
anyone running a debian machine with an Australian (or other affected)
timezone needs to get updated zone files from $location.

Past policy has been that stable updates don't cover things that arn't
critical, even if it makes us look out of date compared to other
distributions. A change to that policy should be carefully considered
before doing it...
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@gmail.com> http://svana.org/kleptog/