Re: Bug 266507 (Re: [linux-audio-user] Mentor for Debian Official 3.1r-0a (Sarge)and Linux Audio)

At 26 Jun 2005 12:08:43 +0200,
Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
> That is a bug in the obsolete version of libc6 which is provided by Debian.
>
> Maybe the package maintainers and the Debian project leaders should be made
> aware by the Linux Audio community that former supporters of Debian have moved
> to Ubuntu because of bug 266507. People here have spent countless hours to
> diagnose that bug, find a fix and deal with problems resulting from the
> non-fixing of that bug in Debian.
>
> I have CCd the glibc-maintainers and leader@debian.org. Maybe they can tell us
> why that bugfix was not applied, the priority of the bug has not been increased
> and an obsolete version of the library is used.

It might be applied to sarge/glibc, but the timeline was over.  Now
we're free to update glibc because sarge was released (actually we're
waiting to modify the basic libraries/toolchains over 1.5 year).
We'll plan to upload new glibc that fixes this problem completely.  I
hope you guys come back to Debian.

BTW, I heard the actual problem is the kernel - kernel preemption is
not happenned until audio application wants to put their data to
hardware.  Actually I heard this issue one year before from Alsa
maintainer, IWAI-san.  IIRC, some efforts have been done in linux
kernel scheduler.

Regards,
-- gotom