A Trace Tool for the NPTL / libc

Hi,

We have built a Trace Tool for the NPTL, called PTT.

This trace tool enables to trace:
  - the calls to and exits from NPTL routines
  - the internal behavior of the NPTL
This tool is aimed to help:
  - developers of Multi-threaded applications
  - members of Linux Distribution Support Teams
  - NPTL maintainers

This tool has now reached a good level of features and quality (though
we know more work is required to make it complete, scalable, ...).
We have built a patch for glibc 2.3.5 and packages for Debian and Fedora
Core 3 and 4.
First measures on 2xia32 show that the patch does not modify the
behavior of the applications (OPTS runs perfectly) and that the
performance impact is acceptable (between 2% and 16% depending on the
application. 16% is reached with stress tests: VolanoMark/JRockit).
The tool has been ported on PowerPC and ia64.

This tool will be presented at the OLS at the end of July:
  http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2005/view_abstract.php?content_key=45
as part of a Bull project aimed to stabilize the NPTL.

The next step is to make this tool available to all people using POSIX
threads on Linux.

Here are useful links to the tool:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/nptltracetool
http://nptltracetool.sourceforge.net/
http://nptl.bullopensource.org/

PTT has been built under my direction and with the help of an expert in
POSIX Threads by 4 students of French Universities.
It is delivered with documentation and tests.

Thanks,

--

Cordialement/Regards,

Tony Reix
                            Carpe Diem

("Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero" - Horace)

Name/Company: Tony Reix                        Bull SA - AIX/Linux R&D
EMail:        Tony.Reix@bull.net
Position:     System Management/Java Architect - NPTL - NFSv4
Web-Sites:    http://www.bull.com      http://nptl.bullopensource.org/
Address:      BULL, 1 rue de Provence, BP 208, 38432 Echirolles - France
Phone         France: 04 76 29 72 67     International: 33 4 76 29 72 67
Fax:          France: 04 76 29 76 00     International: 33 4 76 29 76 00
Bull:         Phone: 229-7267  MailAddress: FREC B1-188   Office: B1-225