Problems encoutered during install of locales-3.5.1

After upgrading this system (originally it was a Mepis 2002.04 install)
to debian experimental - mostly to install kde 3.4, and after doing a
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, I find that locales has difficulty
installing correctly. A couple of times when installing or upgrading
other packages, there have been errors from apt-get telling me that
there were errors encountered during the install. It has failed in the
past, partway through the install, with some kind of a parse error
(forgive me, but I can't now reproduce that output), and then stops
with an error. After which, another apt-get invocation will attempt to
install it yet again, from the beginning, stopping at the same point.

Needless to say this is time-consuming. I removed the locales package
completely and started over. Obviously, I couldn't get the locales
package out of "unstable" because that depended on glibc, and 1400+
packages also depend on glibc.

So I am retrying the install of locales-3.5.1, and then it installs
about 4 locales (af, az, etc.) and then stops. There are also errors
telling me that I don't have some environmental variables set properly,
perhaps this has something to do with it.

(Curiously, no messages are emitted about LC* environmental variables
here, in a konsole root shell, but on my first virtual terminal I get
them.

root@104[~]# apt-get install locales
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  locales
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 58 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/4049kB of archives.
After unpacking 10.8MB of additional disk space will be used.
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously deselected package locales.
(Reading database ... 110448 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking locales (from .../locales_2.3.5-1_all.deb) ...
Setting up locales (2.3.5-1) ...
Generating locales...
  af_ZA.ISO-8859-1... done
  ar_EG.ISO-8859-6... done
  ar_EG.UTF-8... done
  ar_JO.ISO-8859-6... done
Generation complete.

I've previously removed localss - but why does it stop after the ar_*
locale? There are plenty of files in /usr/share/locale, where did they
come from?
dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.