glibc hppa build failure - ulimit

Hi debian-hppa (and -admin),

I tried building glibc manually on paer.  It didn't work any better.
It turns out that ex1 hanging was not the first problem in the build;
make crashes building math/others.  That's transient, though, and
rerunning make got me a build.  After much poking at it I am going to
ignore that.

The buildd on sarti didn't show this, only the ex1 hang.  Paer does
also show the ex1 hang; pthread_create returns EAGAIN for some reason.
Even when run using the system's C library, so I don't know why this
didn't show up before.  And GDB isn't working too well, so I'm having
trouble tracking down the problem.  But strace shows the failure:

27319 mmap(NULL, 1073741824, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE|PROT_EXEC, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0 <unfinished ...>
27319 <... mmap resumed> )              = -1 ENOMEM (Cannot allocate memory)

Right now I don't think we could even rebuild glibc -21.  The hppa
machines are configured with ulimit -s set to 1GB.  This makes
LinuxThreads use 1GB thread stacks.  Which is, um, pretty bad.

Anyone know why this was done?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC