Sarge: rtld-patch for glibc / weird behaviour of deb-package

Hello!

I have two questions which I would like to ask the maintainers of the debian
glibc package (version 2.3.2.ds1-21).

1) We (and many other people) were running multiple times into a problem
with some assertion in rtld.c. The error message is roughly the following
one:

Inconsistency detected by ld.so: rtld.c: 1175: dl_main: Assertion
`_rtld_local._dl_rtld_map.l_prev->l_next == _rtld_local._dl_rtld_map.l_next'
failed!

I have googled, and this problems seems to be widely spread, but I have only
seen one reasonable solution: A patch by Daniel Jacobowitz from MontaVista
software. His explanations of what his patch does are detailed and
well-founded. So why is this patch not included in the debian glibc package
(speaking of both the source and binary one)? There are many people really
desparate about it - for example if they want to run the well-known "David
V8" messaging server on debian...

2) Either I have done something wrong (not very much experience with debian
yet), or something is broken: Due to above reasons, I wanted to compile a
glibc with the above patch included. So I did as root user (the sources.list
listed only sarge sources):

- apt-get source glibc
- add the patch mentioned above, using the mechanism via debian/patches
(i.e. take template.dpatch, change the patchlevel, append the patch and
rename the file, then add the file to 00list)
- dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us

The compile and all other pre- and post-thingies went just fine (in
particular the applying of the patches including the new one), but then I
wanted to install the new packages which had been created by doing:

dpkg -i [package].deb

I repeated the process for every [package].deb which had been created. But
the problem was NOT solved - obviously, the new package wasn't used by dpkg
-i. The same error message appeared when I tried to start the respective
applications.

But when I cd'ed into the build tree of the compilation process and then did
a "make install", the problem was solved.

What was going wrong? Is dpkg broken? Is it my fault? I thought the new
compiled glibc was in the newly created deb-packages...

Thanks for any advice,

Peter