Re: agh! lots of problems with libc6 v2.3.5-6 (x86) and libc6-dbg

Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 09:11:09PM +0100, Nic Ferrier wrote:
>> I just upped my testing version of libc (I've now got 2.3.5-6) and I'm
>> having a few problems... unfortunately, I'm also having a few problems
>> debugging.
>>
>> I've got a python/libxml2/libxslt app that now reports:
>>
>>   *** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (fasttop): 0x081be648 ***
>>
>> when I call a particular libxslt method more than once.
>>
>> So, to try to find out whether this is a libc bug (looked like it
>> might be to me) I tried debugging the python:
>>
>>   gdb python
>>   => run testxsl.py
>>
>> that showed me the stack trace of what was at fault. I got a good list
>> with all the symbols from inside python and from inside the
>> libxml2/libxslt libraries.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I was then stupid and installed libc6-dbg in order to
>> get more info.
>>
>> Now I get *no* python or libxml2/libxslt symbols in the stack
>> traces.
>
> What does the backtrace look like without libc6-dbg installed?  What
> does it look like with?

It's got all the steps in it:

   (no debugging symbols found)
   (no debugging symbols found)
   [New Thread 1075424928 (LWP 25289)]
   (no debugging symbols found)
   (no debugging symbols found)
   (no debugging symbols found)
   (no debugging symbols found)
   (no debugging symbols found)
   (no debugging symbols found)
   (no debugging symbols found)
   (no debugging symbols found)
   (no debugging symbols found)
   (no debugging symbols found)
   (no debugging symbols found)
   (no debugging symbols found)
   (no debugging symbols found)
   (no debugging symbols found)
   (no debugging symbols found)
   (no debugging symbols found)
   (no debugging symbols found)
   (no debugging symbols found)
   (no debugging symbols found)
   (no debugging symbols found)
   (no debugging symbols found)
   (no debugging symbols found)
   <libxslt.stylesheet instance at 0x4020012c>

As you can see, not much use.

Before I installed libc6-dbg I could see which part of Python or
libxml2 these calls were coming from.

I can't get that information back however, even if I uninstall
libc6-dbg. I tried removing libc6-dbg and then reinstalling libc6 but
to no avail.

That's kinda why I'm asking for help.

Nic Ferrier