agh! lots of problems with libc6 v2.3.5-6 (x86) and libc6-dbg

I just upped my testing version of libc (I've now got 2.3.5-6) and I'm
having a few problems... unfortunately, I'm also having a few problems
debugging.

I've got a python/libxml2/libxslt app that now reports:

  *** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (fasttop): 0x081be648 ***

when I call a particular libxslt method more than once.

So, to try to find out whether this is a libc bug (looked like it
might be to me) I tried debugging the python:

  gdb python
  => run testxsl.py

that showed me the stack trace of what was at fault. I got a good list
with all the symbols from inside python and from inside the
libxml2/libxslt libraries.

Unfortunately, I was then stupid and installed libc6-dbg in order to
get more info.

Now I get *no* python or libxml2/libxslt symbols in the stack
traces.

If I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the debug libraries I do get some libc
symbols... but still none of the stuff I'm actually interested in.

Can anybody help me get my debug symbols back? or even better, help
with the original problem? Is it a bug?

I've attached my test script in case anyone's interested.... and
here's the list of relevant packages I have installed:

ii  python2.3             2.3.5-6               An interactive high-level object-oriented language (versio
ii  python2.3-libxml2     2.6.22-1              Python 2.3 bindings for the GNOME XML library
ii  libc6                 2.3.5-6               GNU C Library: Shared libraries and Timezone data
un  libc6-bin             <none>                (no description available)
ii  libc6-dbg             2.3.5-6               GNU C Library: Libraries with debugging symbols
ii  libc6-dev             2.3.5-6               GNU C Library: Development Libraries and Header Files
un  libc6-doc             <none>                (no description available)
ii  libc6-i686            2.3.5-6               GNU C Library: Shared libraries [i686 optimized]
un  libc6-pic             <none>                (no description available)
un  libc6-prof            <none>                (no description available)
un  libc6.1               <none>                (no description available)
un  libc6.1-dev           <none>                (no description available)
un  libc6.1-pic           <none>                (no description available)
ii  libxml2               2.6.22-1              GNOME XML library
ii  libxslt1.1            1.1.15-1              XSLT processing library - runtime library

Nic Ferrier

import libxslt
s = libxslt.parseStylesheetFile("tf/tapsellferrier.xslt")
print s
print s.method()
print s.method()
print s.method()