Re: r1026 - in glibc-package/trunk/debian: . debhelper.in local/etc_init.d rules.d script.in

At Sun, 28 Aug 2005 09:01:32 +0900,
GOTO Masanori wrote:
> Thanks for your notification.  OK, finally i486 emulation is dead.
> Actually bswap and cmpxchg are not included in bash and init, but
> glibc ix86 libraries have them a lot.  How about to change this
> warning part in -6 as follows?

I put it:

    if [ "$realarch" = i386 ]
    then
        # From glibc 2.3.5-7 and linux-2.6 2.6.12-1, real-i386 is dropped.
        #if dpkg --compare-versions "$kernel_ver" lt 2.4.24
        #then
            echo WARNING: This machine has real i386 class processor.
            echo Debian etch and later does not support such old hardware
            echo any longer.
            echo The reason is that \"bswap\" instruction is not supported
            echo on i386 class processors, and some core libraries have
            echo such instruction.  You\'ll see illegal instruction error
            echo when you upgrade your Debian system.
        #fi
    fi

However this change rejects to install new glibc even if sarge kernel
(that includes i486 emulation patch) is used.  In etch, we don't have
any security support for kernels that has i486 emu code, so IMHO it's
acceptable.

Regards,
-- gotom