Re: Locales and belocs-locales-data, some explanations

At Thu, 25 Aug 2005 22:40:02 +0200,
Denis Barbier wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 01:48:14AM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> >   * By default, locales are written into the old format (not into an
> >     archive file).  My motivation was that if someone needs to add a
> >     local locale, she can compile her locale into $HOME/share/locale
> >     and set LOCPATH to $HOME/share/locale:/usr/lib/locale if she
> >     wants to use either her preferred locale or a system one, e.g.
> >     with LANGUAGE=xx_XX:de
> >     But this will work only if system locales are compiled in old
> >     style, not with archive.  I also made benchmarks to see if
> >     archive was faster, and IIRC noticed no significant difference.
> >     This behavior can be overridden by the --archive flag.
>
> Bruno Haible wrote in
>   http://mail.gnome.org/archives/locale-list/2005-August/msg00014.html
> <quote>
>   Similarly, he has put all the locale data files into a single big
>   archive, to reduce the number of open() calls at program startup.
> </quote>
>
> On Red Hat, locales are compiled into both old and new formats,
> certainly to take advantage of both sides.

Yes, I agree with this thought.

Note that I have been adding localeall package that contains all
pregenerated locales data - both old and new format.  However, it's
nice to have both old and new data for the current locales package,
too.

Regards,
-- gotom