Re: glibc bug 318429 holding up C++ transition

On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 10:46:21PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> libgc, apt, fam, and goodness knows what else

... linux-kernel-headers...

> FBTFS due to this bug -- which is a trivial header error -- but only on
> ia64.

> It's not clear what the right course of action is.  If the "old" glibc in sid
> builds cleanly with gcc 4.0, almost certainly it should be uploaded with a
> fix for bug 318429 ASAP.

> If glibc in sid requires substantial extra work to build with gcc 4.0,
> however, something else should be done.  Waiting for the glibc from
> experimental is probably not a good idea here, because this bug is causing
> problems for a *lot* of packages.

> I can think of several options, but perhaps the simplest is to ignore ia64 for
> purposes of progression to "testing", until the new glibc is in.

Simplest, but the repercussions of ignoring an arch last for a while even
after the arch is no longer being ignored; it doesn't make much sense to do
this when there's a fix in sight.

And Goto-san has said that he plans to upload glibc 2.3.5 to unstable this
weekend, so I would say that the fix is in sight.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer