Re: ppc64 biarch toolchain and 64bit powerpc kernels ...

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 07:45:08PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 07:36:08PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > >
> > > The sid procpc works just fine with ppc64 kernel, no need to mess with
> > > it at all.
> >
> > Oh, fine, so there is no risk of overflow of the process id.
>
> The process id in Linux is always 32bits, and unless you tweak
> /proc/sys/kernel/pid-max the actual range used is even smaller.
>
> > What about the sarge procps ?
>
> It shouldn't be any different.  I have been running ppc64 kernels with
> sarge for a long time.  And if there's a bug in procps somewhere where
> it can't deal with some fields beeing bigger in 64bit kernels that
> should be fixed in procps instead of needing another set of binaries.

Ok, fine with me, you are the expert. Did you try already the kernels and
stuff i announced on :

  http://people.debian.org/~luther/ppc64/PPC64.README

It didn't get the interest i expected, but maybe just because people didn't
really notice.

Friendly,

Sven Luther