reconfig video

I installed debian r 3.1 two times this week and resolution was fine 1280 x 1024. Now on the same system
I have run the network onstall of the latest testbuild. I can only get 800X600 and or 800 X480 on the same hardware.
I have been reading all the options to change but they only allow selecting from a list and the above values are all I can
pick. So how to I rerun the install for the xserver I have tried a number of config tools they do not run. Is there a way
to redo the video from a shell other than editing the config file?