Some strange locale selections

Hi,

what exactly is the difference between the locales
de_DE.UTF-8
de_DE.UTF-8@euro
de_DE
de_DE@euro
?
The two with UTF-8 are probably for a default of UTF-8 and de_DE is for
ISO-8859-1 and de_DE@euro for ISO-8859-15. Or am I already wrong here?
All should have the € sign set as currency, thus making is rather a strange
thing to have those as selections.
Additionally, the used charset can be specified at a later point thus making
"de_DE.ISO-8859-15" the same as "de_DE@euro" and "de_DE.UTF-8" should
probably work when only creating "de_DE" from the above list.
Additionally, "de_DE.UTF-8" should be absolutely equal to
"de_DE.UTF-8@euro" (shouldn't that be "de_DE@euro.UTF-8" anyway).

So why are there 4 selections and not just 1? If this is just about default
charset, wouldn't it be better to provide a README instead of duplicated
locales?
If I am wrong about this, maybe there's a need to explain the selectable
things a bit?
If the selection of the charset at a later point does not work, then at least
"de_DE.UTF-8@euro" is absolutely useless (and the locale system would really
be bad).

Thanks for enlightening me :)

HS

PS: I'm not subscribed, so please CC: me.

        oder über pgp.net