Re: Replacement of the locales package

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 10:54:35AM +0900, GOTO Masanori wrote:
> At Mon, 25 Oct 2004 01:27:22 +0200,
> Denis Barbier wrote:
> > I am going to maintain my own version of locale files.  This package is
> > called belocs-locales-data and available from
> >   deb http://people.debian.org/~barbier/belocs unstable main
> > It is Arch: all and has no dependencies (except debconf), and can then
> > be installed on every system.
> > My goal is to review all bugs sent to the BTS and upstream bugzilla,
> > and apply requested changes in a timely manner if they look fine.
> > And to demonstrate that there is no reason to have the locales package
> > bound to libc6, having a separate source package drastically eases its
> > maintenance.
> > Here is the changelog entry.  More to coom soon.
>
> My comments:
>
>  - All patches are simply applied by you - I hope you review them.

Sure.  For instance I dropped locale-de_CH.dpatch after reading #27397.

>    For example, eo_EO is questionable with its entries.
>
>  - Note that I'm preparing glibc snapshot package for experimental
>    distro because sarge is not released yet.  I'm spending to follow
>    debian specific patches to the latest cvs.  It's nice to merge them
>    with your work.

Any chance to see the locales package being a separate package?

[...]
> >     + bts235759_transliterate_german_quotes
> >       In de_DE (resp. de_CH), transliterate <U201E> and <U201C>
> >       quotes to <U00BB> and <U00AB> (resp. <U00AB> and <U00BB>).
>
> I hope you re-read the entire thread.  You should behave as maintainer
> with regard to all opinions.

Many people want this patch, and only one person is against it.

> >     + keep_sr_YU
> >       Keep sr_YU and sr_YU@cyrillic locales until transition to sr_CS is over.
>
> It'll be dropped after sarge.

I want to provide a transition phase in which both exist, ie. I plan to drop
them after etch.  OTOH in current glibc CVS, sr_YU locales have been dropped
before sr_CS get added.

Denis