Re: Replacement of the locales package

I have to admit that I'm a bit surprised by Denis proposal. I have the
feeling that some long-time conflicts are lying below this, but I'm
not sure that forking the locales package is the best way to solve
them.

Knowing Masanori Goto *and* Denis Barbier, I'm sure both of you guys
can work together very efficiently. That would probably just be a
matter of putting you around a table...:-). Hint: both, come to
Debconf5...:-)

Anyway, this may be an opportunity for really discussing these issues,
so let's go (however, doing this post-sarge in order to keep
maintainers energy focus on release would probably have been better)

> >     + debian-locale-eu_FR
> >       Add new eu_FR locale.
> >       Patch by Christian Perrier.
>
> They're already under my review (sorry my lazyness, I'll work it).

I don't understand. As far as I know, eu_FR is already in locales..:-)

> >     + debian-locale-eo_EO
> >       Add new eo_EO locale.
> >       Patch by Robert Thomson and Edmund GRIMLEY
>
> IIRC, it's still questionable; read BTS.

I haven't read the BTS, but is the EO code really the most
appropriate? I bet this is what the debate is about....

I would arther vote for eo_XX but I probably need checking various
documents abou tlocales for that.

> >     + bts235759_transliterate_german_quotes
> >       In de_DE (resp. de_CH), transliterate <U201E> and <U201C>
> >       quotes to <U00BB> and <U00AB> (resp. <U00AB> and <U00BB>).
>
> I hope you re-read the entire thread.  You should behave as maintainer
> with regard to all opinions.

If I remember, this BTS is a nightmare with different opinions
diverging and no real consensus of any kind...:-(