[pmachard@debian.org: Re: xmms/libmikmod2 bug is grave]

reassign 261001 glibc
thanks,
--
                                Pierre Machard
<pmachard@debian.org>                                 http://debian.org
GPG: 1024D/23706F87 : B906 A53F 84E0 49B6 6CF7 82C2 B3A0 2D66 2370 6F87

--- Begin Message ---
reassing 261001 glibc
thanks,

Hi Eduard,

thanks for your quick reply

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 01:55:07PM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> #include <hallo.h>
> * Pierre Machard [Sat, Sep 25 2004, 11:02:41AM]:
>
> > > Why did you set the severity back if you did not understand the issue?
> > > The problem here is not a plugin that breaks because of some missing
> > > extra library (which would be okay).

> > > Wrong. That is the core of the problem. xmms application does not start
> > > at all. I tried to get a backtrace now, but gdb does not produce any
> > > data, maybe it is confused with its thread model. No idea.
> > > However, xmms starts with LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 and this problem may be
> > > somehow related to TLS.
> >
> > On my environment (sarge) I have not this problem. I am running a
> > 2.6.7-1-k7 kernel, but when I was running a 2.4.x I had not this
> > problem. Are you running a Debian kernel or are you running a home made
> > kernel ?
>
> A-Ha. I think, something reported by several people cannot be just
> random irreproducible problem. In fact, you need following conditions to
> reproduce this bug:
>
>  - run a 2.6.x kernel (as stated in other bug reports!)
>  - have a libc with NTPL/TLS support
>  - install the binary nvidia drivers (and make sure it setups its TLS
>    libraries)
>
> Then, for some reason, XMMS does this (not) funny thing right after
> libGL.so.1 has been loaded.

The problem is really nvidia drivers. I tryed to forward a similar bug in
the past to the glibc maintainers but It fails. I hope it will work this
time.

Dear glibc maintainers I do not know if the severity is very well
setted, however I would really like to know why nvidia and the behaviour
that Eduard described break xmms.

If you prefer, you can duplicate the bug repport and reassign it to
xmms and/or nvidia.

Cheers,