Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: Re: little NPTL SCHED_FIFO test program

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 16:59, Paul Davis wrote:

> i think this is a bit of an overstatement.

Yeah I actually meant to snip those two lines.  Oops.  I retract that
statement.  I stand by the rest of my rant.

> the bug affects one particular type of programming construct:
>
>     pthread_attr_t attr;
>
>     ... set attr ...
>
>     pthread_create (&thread, &attr, ...)
>

> it has no effect on the alternative:
>
>    void *
>    thread_work (void *arg)
>    {
>          pthread_setschedparam (...);
>    }
>
> so there *is* a workaround for the bug. and i personally believe that
> JACK, at least, should be using the workaround.

Right, as already established, we need the workaround anyway.  But, the
fix is even more trivial than the workaround, I see no reason for Debian
not to apply it.

Actually, it's possible that the patch would break some apps, because I
think with the fix, if it fails it actually returns status indicating
failure.  Maybe a bug-for-bug compatible patch would be more acceptable.

Lee