Re: GS register to access thread-specific state on x86

Thank you, Daniel, for the explanation of why Debian's glibc is built the way it is. I knew there would be good reasons.

I am glad to know that 2.6 kernels will work with floating stacks and the current libc. I have updated the Jikes RVM user's guide to reflect this. I hope I have accurately described the situation; if one of you would be kind enough to look at it[1], I would appreciate any corrections of the explanation.

As of three weeks ago (April 14th, when I installed Debian for the first time), sarge was still installing 2.4-series kernels by default. It sounds as if, even after Sarge comes out, a default Debian system installed in the most common fashion will still not support floating stacks.

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
The decision to not support floating stacks on a 2.4 kernel was made
out of practicality only; we already have three versions of glibc for
x86 systems, and a fourth would be overkill.

I would like to explain why I think providing a fourth version of x86 glibc, overkill though it seems, would serve the interests of Debian and its commitment to free software.

Right now, there is still no free runtime system that can call itself Java. However, Jikes RVM, and other projects[2], are building some that will be able to do so one day. In the mean time, the free java projects are improving and bringing more and more Java projects over from contrib (because they depended on a proprietary Java runtime) into main.

So, by helping Jikes RVM to fully work on Debian (there's already a Debian package available for it) it means that we would probably be able to bring packages like the Eclipse IDE over from contrib into main; they're stuck in contrib right now, but they won't have to be. And fewer people will have to pull down the Sun Java runtime environment from non-free in order to use the programs they want to use.

Thank you for your consideration.

Respectfully Yours,

--Steven Augart

[1] Visit http://www-124.ibm.com/jikesrvm/userguide/HTML/faq_building.html and search for the word "Debian".

[2] http://classpath.wildebeest.org/planet/
--
Steven Augart

Jikes RVM, a free, open source, Virtual Machine:
http://oss.software.ibm.com/jikesrvm