Re: fenris: FTBFS: Cannot execute /lib/libc.so.6

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 08:37:21AM -0800, Daniel Schepler wrote:
> Package: fenris
> Severity: serious
> Version: 1:0.07build3244-2.1
>
> >From my build log:

> [+] Version (build): 0.07-m (3244)
> [*] Overriding sanity checks! Yuppi!
> [+] Operating system check: Linux (supported)
> [+] Processor check: i686 (supported)
> [+] GNU C library version: ./build: line 1: /lib/libc.so.6: Permission denied
> cannot determine libc version!
> [-] I am affraid I cannot continue. Please consult documentation.
>
> make: *** [build-stamp] Error 1
>
> I think that file was made non-executable because even if it were
> executable, the dynamic loader would fail with a failed assertion.  I
> guess you'll have to find another method to find the glibc version.

(irrespective of whether it is a sane thing to do)
The dynamic loader do not fail:

%/lib/ld-linux.so.2 /lib/libc.so.6
GNU C Library stable release version 2.3.2, by Roland McGrath et al.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Compiled by GNU CC version 3.3.3 20031206 (prerelease) (Debian).
Compiled on a Linux 2.6.0-test7 system on 2004-01-20.
Available extensions:
        GNU libio by Per Bothner
        crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others
        linuxthreads-0.10 by Xavier Leroy
        BIND-8.2.3-T5B
        libthread_db work sponsored by Alpha Processor Inc
        NIS(YP)/NIS+ NSS modules 0.19 by Thorsten Kukuk
Thread-local storage support included.
Report bugs using the `glibcbug' script to <bugs@gnu.org>.

/lib/libc.so.6 in woody is executable, FWIW.
Glibc maintainers: was it changed on purpose ?
changelog is unclear about it.

Cheers,
Bill