Re: A question on debugging libraries

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 11:39:31AM +1100, Ian Wienand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if this is a bug or something I have misunderstood about
> the debugging libraries.  I want to show an example of debugging a
> libc call, so just simply overflowed a buffer with strcpy.

There's your problem.

You are trying to get a backtrace.  A walk up the stack frame, yes?  So
you generated a crash by overwriting the stack; naturally we can not
backtrace.

> #0  0x74732067 in ?? ()
> #1  0x676e6972 in ?? ()

If the top frames are lost, then there is nothing you can expect from
the below frames.  Besides, you're in main; there is only one or at
most two frames on the stack anyway.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz