Re: Testing/help needed - experimental glibc version

Segundo os pergaminhos sagrados, alguém chamado Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org> escreveu:

> Now, we need to find the problems I _don't_ know about.  I'd like for those
> who feel comfortable testing a new glibc - usual caveats about the quality
> of experimental software! - to give it a try.  Use it, let us know what
> happens.  Don't upload Debian packages to the archive built against it,
> obviously - they won't be installable because of the >= 2.3.2.ds1 dependency
> in shlibs.  If you have a kernel above 2.4.something, below 2.6, and an
> i686, you'll get i686 optimized libraries - er, I don't know if they'll work
> on a Via C3, I didn't check :( Probably not.  If you have a kernel at least
> 2.6.0-test on an i486 or above, you'll get NPTL.

[Please CC me, I'm subscribed to debian-devel only]

I'm using 2.6.0-test8 (compiled myself, just don't like distro kernels) on a K6-II (i586) and NTPL just doesn't work. After dpkg unpackaged the new libc6, it stopped working. I tried to open aptitude again, and it said "Illegal instruction". I tried to reboot but init failed just like the others -- had to SysRq-S SysRq-U SysRq-B. After the (forced) reboot, init doesn't even print any message.

After all these things, I tried my ol' 2.4.22. Yeah, it works! But not optimized (i586 < i686)... So I downgraded libc6* and locales to unstable ones.

Any suggestions?

        Cheers,
            Felipe Almeida Lessa.