Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dynamic-link.h: 161: elf_get_dynamic_info: Assertion `info[15] == ((void *)0)' failed!

I understand this list is for discussion of Debian packaging of the GNU C
library. My question is not related to the Debian-ized or Debian-patched
version of glibc. Nevertheless, my issue may have been encountered by a
glibc packager.

I have been unable to get assistance from quiet bug-glibc list. If you can
suggest an appropriate and helpful list, I'd appreciate it.

I built glibc-2.3.2 several times (on different hardware) and continue to
receive the error noted below (and in the subject line).

I used the stdio-common/sscanf.c patch and I touched
stdio-common/errlist-compat.c (due to "errlist.c count 126 vs Versions
sys_errlist@GLIBC_2.0 count 123" error) before building.

I used GCC 3.3.1. And I have tried with binutils 2.13.2.1 and 2.14.0.0.

I also included the glibc-linuxthreads add-on.

It was configured with:
 --enable-add-ons=linuxthreads
 --sysconfdir=/etc
 --with-libintl-prefix=/usr
 --host=i386-pc-linux
 --prefix=/usr

I used install_root to choose where to install in a temporary location.

My install logging has many lines like:

 wa_BE.ISO-8859-15@euro...Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dynamic-link.h:
 161: elf_get_dynamic_info: Assertion `info[15] == ((void *)0)' failed!

I assumed this was just a locale related, so I ignored it.

Then, I cp -Rp all this installation to overwrite /

Then ls and all other commands reported same error:

 # vi
 Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dynamic-link.h: 161:
 elf_get_dynamic_info: Assertion `info[15] == ((void *)0)' failed!

I searched the bug-glibc archives and looked at the FAQ but didn't see any
reference to this. I also saw some postings via google, but didn't find
(or understand) any replies.

Can anyone tell me what this error means?

And what should I do to fix or workaround this?

If I overlooked some documentation about this, please point me to it.

Thank you,

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.isp-faq.com/