Re: Bits from the RM

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, GOTO Masanori wrote:

> It was reported by joshk on IRC, but I'm not still clear where this
> problem come from.  Example:
>
> 	ultra30:~> dpkg -s libc6 | grep Version
> 	Version: 2.3.2-3
> 	ultra30:~> dpkg -s dpkg | grep Version
> 	Version: 1.10.10
> 	ultra30:~> dpkg
> 	Bus error
>
> dpkg works well with some options, but only typing `dpkg' breaks with
> bus error.  It's not related with the existence of libc6-sparc64.
> From tracking with gdb, dpkg breaks setjmp()/longjmp().  The
> mysterious thing is that it works fine to compile gcc-3.2/gcc-3.3
> without -O2 optimization.  It's also ok with glibc 2.3.1-17, IIRC.

Hmm.  I'm reminded of a problem on s390x.  64-bit arch, but when dpkg was
initializing some variable, it only did it to the lower(or upper, can't
recall) 32 bits.  Later, it blew up.

It's too bad valgrind doesn't work on non-i386.

Is there a debian machine I can access that has this problem?  The last 2
times some odd issue came up like this, one turned out to be a dpkg
bug(s390x), and one was a multi-year old bug in libc6 assem(memcpy error, at
the end of the buffer, when using mmap, on alpha).  In both cases, it didn't
take me long to track down(not more than half a day).