Java crashes due to faulty libc.so.6

I used my J2SE 1.3 virtual machine (bundled in
j2sdk1.3_1.3.1-1_i386.deb) to run ICQ's online ICQ2Go service on both my
Konqueror and Mozilla browsers. In both cases both the applet and the
web browser crashed and produced the attached error outputs. The key
part of the error read:
An unexpected exception has been detected in native code outside the VM.
Unexpected Signal : 11 occurred at PC=0x4087c117
Function name=(N/A)
Library=/lib/libc.so.6
   Thus I am led to believe that my libc library is the cause.
   Let me mention that I have recently upgraded to the newest "testing"
version of libc (2.2.5-14.3) to accomodate for XFree86 4.2.
   Here is a short description of what happened:
   I ran either konqueror or mozilla from a terminal.
   I logged on to http://go.icq.com.
   A windows popped up and the Java applet started loading.
   The JVM console appeared.
   After a while, the main login screen appeared and I logged in.
   The applet displayed the following messages before crashing:
   "Logging in", "Verifying ID", "Loading contact list"
   Then the browser and the applet crashed and error messages were
displayed in the terminal.
   Is there any more stable update for libc?