general question about rewritten code from scratch (about sunrpc issue)

Dear all,

CMIIW, but I understand one of RC bugs in glibc is the status of sunrpc code. And to make it release-able, re-implementation of this code is a must.

I also understand that Jeff Bailey, has a schedule to work on the issue on March. I like to help on re-implementing new sunrpc code, but I don't know what is the condition to re-implementing new code of existing code in order to change the license.

Do I need to understand all the algorithm in sunrpc (in the meaning of, I should get a book about rpc and read it thoroughly) and wrote my own version of code based on my understanding?

Or can I just read sunrpc sources, and build new codes based on what I read? Should it be completely different in structure with sun's implementation? Surely I cannot just do copy-pasting, but can I take some of the part of sun's sunrpc implementation and put it in my own code?

Thanks for the attention.

Best Regards,
arief_mulya