Re: glibc 2.3.1-12 ...

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 10:47:50PM +0900, GOTO Masanori wrote:
> At Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:03:01 +0100,
> Sven Luther wrote:
> > Could you perhaps add a :
> >
> > Conflict: ocaml (<<3.06-7)
> >
> > This is not a problem with unstable, since i rebuilt the ocaml packages,
> > but the version in testing was built with the older glibc, and will
> > break with the newer glibc, if the new glibc enters testing before the
> > ocaml packages do.
> >
> > It is not all that important though, so i don't know if it is worth it,
> > especially since that means that ocaml stuff will hold up glibc if it is
> > not yet ready to enter testing, but i guess other packages will present
> > the same problem.
>
> Hmm, on my testing, ocaml 3.04-12 with libc6 2.3.1-12 runs well.
> What is the problem?

Well the symptoms are actually :

$ ocamlopt str.cmxa stuff.ml
/usr/lib/ocaml/libasmrun.a(str.o)(.text+0x1de): In function `is_printable':
: undefined reference to `__ctype_b'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Error during linking

where wtuff.ml is an empty file.

I guess it has to do because libasmrun.a (which contains parts of the
ocaml runtime needed to run nativecode executables) is linked statically
when built, and references this symbol from the old libc.

The easy solution is simply to rebuild the ocaml compiler for the new
glibc, i don't think you can really do a lot about static linked
executables, can you ?

Anyway, as said, it is not really all that problematic, provided the new
ocaml make it into testing quickly, but a conflict would be nice for
later versions of glibc, so that the woody->sarge migration does not
cause problems.

> > Anyway, if you don't do it yet, maybe it could be done at a later time,
> > when both the new ocaml and the new glibc is in testing, so that people
> > upgrading from woody don't have this problems ?
>
> glibc should provide back compatibility, but if something is broken,
> at least new ocaml depends on new libc6, so we don't get any problem,
> I think.

Well, like said, i don't think you can provide back compatibility to
static binaries, but i may be wrong. I think it is another instance of
the hidden symbols or something such, but since this only appears when
building new nativecode executables, it is not really as big a problem
as with gcc-3.2, and the faster the new ocaml packages make it in
testing, the less a problem it will be. I will widely publisize this
fact on the ocaml lists, to make sure it is not a problem. Anyway, 3.04
is old and most people use the woody backported 3.06 packages, and there
is no way we can do anything about that.

The only thing i wish is that people upgrading from stable woody to
freshly released sarge will have their ocaml package upgraded at the
same time their glibc is.

Friendly,

Sven Luther