Re: glibc 2.2.5 incompatibility for (old) existing binaries.

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 11:19:44AM -0500, Karl J. Runge wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I apologize if this is not the correct mailing list to ask this question;
> if possible please let me know if there is a better place to ask it.
>
> I'm wondering if any of you have seen this problem and have any
> suggestions.
>
> In doing some experimental upgrades to Debian 3.0 on test machines
> on our LAN, I noticed an incompatibility: applications built on glibc
> 2.0.7 (i.e. 1999 timeframe) now often fail unexpectedly on Debian 3.0
> (glibc 2.2.5).

FYI,

I believe this is a known problem, and I believe that Red Hat solves it
by a patch which runs 2.0.x binaries using a separate copy of the
library, which is gross.  They didn't really get the compatibility
solutions working until 2.1.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz