Re: 2.3.1-6

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 10:19:28PM +0100, Gerhard Tonn wrote:

> configure doesn't work any more for the s390x (64 bit) libraries. I am doing
> the build on a 31 bit machine and the sizeof long double test fails, because
> the 64 bit test program is not executable. It used to skip the test because
> it recognized that it is doing a kind of cross-compile. Anybody any idea how
> to fix it?

The new autoconf test is supposed to handle the cross-compile case
properly.

# _AC_COMPUTE_INT_COMPILE(EXPRESSION, VARIABLE, [INCLUDES], [IF-FAILS])
# ---------------------------------------------------------------------
# Compute the integer EXPRESSION and store the result in the VARIABLE.
# Works OK if cross compiling, but assumes twos-complement arithmetic.

(I don't know much about the s390.  Does this affect you?)

Basically, it never executes the compiled file.

(If you're on autoconf hacker at all, the magic is all in
lib/autoconf/general.m4 as _AC_COMPUTE_INT_COMPILE with the first
parameter as [(long) (sizeof (long double))]  ).

I just spent a couple of minutes looking at the test and my brain isn't
letting me guess what's happening.  I can try looking at is tomorrow,
though.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey