Re: Regex update

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 09:35:30PM -0600, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 07:04:31AM -0800, Jeff Bailey wrote:
> > For -9, I want to include this patch:
> > 2002-12-17 Isamu Hasegawa <isamu@yamato.ibm.com>
> >         * posix/regcomp.c (free_workarea_compile): Free the new member
> >         ORG_INDICES.
> > Any objections?
>
> Not an objection, but I'd *suggest* you don't do this; the most important
> thing to do to glibc at this point is to *fix* it (#174267, #167909 and
> arm building at least, afaict), and the easiest and most reliable way to
> do that is to make the minimal changes needed, and leave it at that. The
> time to do more development is once you've finished debugging, not in
> the middle of it; otherwise you will just end up introducing more bugs
> to fix, no matter how confident you are in the changes you're applying.
>
> What progress has the arm problem seen, anyway? If a proper fix still
> isn't written, what exactly is stopping the kludge from being used in
> the meantime?

I believe it's ready, and we're currently waiting for the buildd
maintainer to get back from vacation, at least that's what it sounded
like on IRC.  It also sounded like Jeff or Bdale had somewhere they
could test ARM packages built by hand, so I don't know why we're
waiting.

There's still a binutils bug, it's been worked around, and I'm looking
at it for work anyway now.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz