Re: debian prelink packages?

Jeff,
   Well I have been using it on debian ppc sid since Oct and prelink
works fine. Basically the test suite is pretty solid so each arch
can tell immediately if they are suitable for using prelink. RedHat
hasn't really addressed auto-prelinking yet. I had something rigged
up which would cron prelink if the user desired so that once a day
it would check the dpkg time stamp and if something had been installed
in the last 24 hours a prelink -mav would be run and logged. Again
that is optional. You could just ship it as RedHat does where either
packages are redesigned to call it explicitly from postinst scripts
or the user is left to decide when and how to run it. I favor the
second approach.
                                          Jack
ps Of course Sarge should have no influence on whether prelink goes
into sid. It is a basic rule that will have to be taught that no
binaries are to be packaged in a prelinked form. So the presence of
prelink in sid should have no impact on the stability of sid. Also if
we wanted to get really anal we could just dump the bugger in experimental.