Re: Changing thread limits in glibc

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 02:50:31PM -0700, Alan Holcomb wrote:
> Hello-
>
> I am trying to increase the thread limits on my machine to accomodate a
> java application. I am doing this while following the instructions on
> www.volano.com. I am to the point where I am trying to increase the
> STACK_SIZE and PTHREAD_THREADS_MAX in the glibc source. I have done an
> "apt-get source libc6" in order to pull everythng down. I have edited
> the header files a couple of times and then tried to re-build the
> package with "dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -us" only to get the
> following error during the package build:
>
> dpkg-source: building glibc using existing glibc_2.1.3.orig.tar.gz
> dpkg-source: building glibc in glibc_2.1.3-13.diff.gz
> dpkg-source: cannot represent change to glibc-linuxthreads-2.1.3.tar:
> binary file contents changed
> dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file
> glibc-linuxthreads-2.1.3.tar.bz2
> dpkg-source: building glibc in glibc_2.1.3-13.dsc
> dpkg-source: unrepresentable changes to source
>
> This is the first time I have tried re-building a package so it is
> entirely possible that I am editing the wrong instance of the header
> files. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.
>
> My machine info- 2.2.18pre21 #1 Sat Nov 18 18:47:15 EST 2000 i686
> unknown

Follow these steps:

# apt-get source glibc
# cd glibc-2.1.3
# debian/rules patch
<edit files in glibc-2.1.3/ directory, note these will not remain if
 you run the clean target>
# debian/rules build
<watch the build go, if all goes well...>
# fakeroot debian/rules binary-arch

That should produce what you want. Note, what you are doing above is
editing the files, then when you execute dpkg-buildpackage, you run into
a major issue. You should be using the -B and -nc (for noclean) options
to dpkg-buildpackage, but you will still have other issues if you don't
follow my steps.

Ben