Re: [chris@debian.org: Re: db3]

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Ben Collins wrote:

> > May I ask you to prepare a compatible glibc upload as fast as
> > reasonable? I don't know exactly what's the thing with the threads and
> > who's fault it is but you can check my mysql diffs and modify the rules
> > file to use db3 support and see (on an alpha platform) what will happen.
>
> GLibc 2.1.94 was installed today. It'll be a few days before things settle
> down enough to use it though (gcc needs to be installed with new libstdc++
> and nss_db needs to get in aswell).

I've been pressuring Christian about fixing mysql, fyi (sorry...it was
mostly me).  I'm compiling glibc AGAIN now (hopefully for the final
time) and will test the current mysql against it as soon as I can.

FYI, Ben, I've had spotty problems while building the "whole
ball-o-wax" today, including a bogus libc6.1.shlibs (yielded libc6 rather
than libc6.1).  I'm rebuilding now to see if it was a fluke or not
(fingers crossed) since it didn't occur during the first build.

Also, the db2 package's control file needed some tweaking since using a
versioned dependency on libc6-dev is a problem still on Alpha (libc6-dev
is a Provides: on Alpha and the current dpkg still doesn't support
versioned virtuals).  This is no problem, though, for now.  I'm uploading
the fixed binary debs...just something to keep in mind for the future.  I
suspect that this particular dependency won't be versioned after all archs
that can switch to glibc 2.1.9x already have finished the transition (am
I correct on this?).  If it won't be going away, can we OR it with
libc6.1-dev?