Re: Glibc, gcc, libdb2 and nss_db

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 05:50:02AM +0900, GOTO Masanori wrote:
> Hi,
>
> From: Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>
> Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 12:46:08 -0400
> > Well, here it comes. Glibc 2.1.94, hot of the glibc release process. I'm
> > currently building i386, powerpc and sparc, which I will upload throughout
> > the day and tonight as I build them. These are going into woody. Several
> > notes for the other ports (the ones I cannot build).
>
> Thanks for your efforts!
> Some comments and questions about your new glibc 2.2 deb.
>
> * locale package have some missing conflicts/replaces entries.
>   Change your locale.deb package to
>
>  Depends: libc6 (= 2.1.92-0.0.1)
>  Conflicts: localebin, wg15-locale, wcsmbs-locale-ja, libwcsmbs, locale-ja,
>             locale-ko, wcsmbs-locale-ko, locale-vi, locale-zh
>  Replaces: localebin, wg15-locale, libc6-bin, wcsmbs-locale-ja, libwcsmbs,
>            locale-ja, locale-ko, wcsmbs-locale-ko, locale-vi, locale-zh

Where did these packages come from?

> * locale package have only a few locales as follow:
>     cs, da, de, el, en_GB, es, fr, gl, it, ko,
>     nl, no, pl, pt_BR, sk, sv
>
>   However, we want to support more locales. Please add (at least) like:
>     af, af_ZA, ar_SA, bg, bg_BG.cp1251, br, ca, ca_ES, cs_CZ, cy,
>     da_DK, de_AT, de_BE, de_CH, de_DE, de_LU, el, el_GR, en, en_AU,
>     en_BW, en_CA, en_DK, en_IE, en_UK, en_US, en_ZW, eo, eo_EO,
>     es_AR, es_DO, es_ES, es_GT, es_HN, es_MX, es_PA, es_PE, es_SV,
>     et, et_EE, eu, eu_ES, fi, fi_FI, fo_FO, fr_BE, fr_CA, fr_CH,
>     fr_FR, fr_LU, ga, ga_IE, gd, gl_ES, gr, gv, he, hr, hr_HR, hs,
>     hu, hu_HU, id, in_ID, is, is_IS, it_CH, it_IT, iw_IL, ja, ja_JP,
>     ja_JP.eucJP, ja_JP.ujis, ja_JP.SJIS, kl_GL, kw, lt, lt_LT, lv,
>     lv_LV, mk, mk_MK, nl_BE, nl_NL, nn, no@nynorsk, no_NO, pl_PL,
>     pt, pt_PT, ro, ro_RO, ru, ru_RU, ru_RU.KOI8-R, ru_UA, se, sk_SK,
>     sl, sl_SI, sp, sr, sr_YU, sv_FI, sv_SE, th, th_TH, tr, tr_TR,
>     uk, uk_UA, wa, zh, zh_CN, zh_CN.GB2312, zh_CN.GBK, zh_TW, zh_TW.Big5
>
>   Of cource, this list is very rough. One locale dir is only for storing
>   locale message catalog (ex. ja/), another is only link file
>   (ex. ja_JP.ujis -> ja_JP.eucJP), and so on.
>   glibc 2.2 has many locales, so we have to do efforts to support
>   various locales for our universal operating system, debian.

I build what glibc builds by default. I'm not concered with additional
locales at the moment.

> * Where is "sln"? Is it not needed ?

It is no longer build, so I assume so.

> * glibc-2.1.9x is providing "rpcgen" program. Current rpcgen is
>   included in "netbase", but now, rpcgen should be supported into
>   libc package. Yes, it needs netbase changing...

I'll leave that to the netbase maintainer to test and let me know.

> * BTW, your package does not have link file: ld.so (-> ld-linux.so.2).
>   Is this needed ?

ld.so is for libc5, ld-linux.so.2 is for glibc 2. Some non-i386 archs have
just ld.so though (since they never had libc5). That wont change.