alpha build issues, how to patch properly?

Two things:
I tried rebuilding 2.1.3-4 on alpha but failed because some directory
did not exist. Could you please look into this? I can not, because
- my alpha is on the CeBIT on the Debian booth
- I find it tough to understand the debian rules for building.

the other is on i386. I want to patch the glibc source with the stubs
from ftp://ftp.valinux.com/pub/support/hjl/glibc/
so I can strip it and save space on my ramdisk (embedded system).
Where would I put the patches and still be able to use
dpkg-buildpackage (which I find really neat!)? Do I need to change
anything else?