a problem with timezones

Hi there,

I work for Corel and am responsible for the Control Center under KDE. I
have implemented the kcmclock module which allows the user to change the
date, time and timezone. I have run into something very confusing having
to do with timezones and I don't know if it is a bug or not. Hopefully
you can help me out.

If I set my system to EST (Americal/Montreal) everything works fine. If
I try to set it to GMT-5, which in my mind is the same as EST, I get a
time that is 5 hours ahead of GMT instead of 5 hours behind GMT. In
order to get the time to be the same as America/Montreal I have to
select GMT+5. This seems to be the case for other GMT time zones as well
(i.e. the + and - seem to be reversed).

Is this a bug or am I just missing something?

Thanks,

Carlo.
Corel.